• Starting a Business

  • Develop a Business Plan 

    Before starting down the path of opening your own business, the Chamber strongly encourages entrepreneurs to develop a business plan. It will become the foundation on which all decisions will be made and will be a significant asset in the early months and years of your operations.

    Here are some resources that will help you develop your own:

    Choose Your Business Name 

    Your business name should be unique and easy to remember, and should describe the products and services you provide. Remember, your name will go everywhere your business goes. Learn more - Alberta Business Name Registration.

    Join the Chamber 

    Did you know that 63% of consumers are more likely to do business with a Chamber member? Joining the Chamber speaks to your credibility and professionalism; gives you an opportunity to network with others, to learn and grow; find unique ways to promote your business and add exposure; and offers exclusive discounts and promotional offers. We would love to introduce you to our business resources available only to our members, such as Esso (3.5 cents/litre), Husky/Mohawk (2 cents/litre) and Purolator (up to 35% off) discounts.

    Learn more about joining the Chamber. 

  • Municipal Taxes 

    Aside from requiring an annual payment for business licenses, the City of Fort Saskatchewan does not levy a business tax. It does, however, levy property taxes that must be paid by June 30 annually. Tax notices are usually mailed to property owners in mid-May.


  • Obtaining Permits 

    Depending on where you plan to open your business (storefront? home office?), you may need to obtain different types of federal, provincial or municipal permits. Fortunately, the City of Fort Saskatchewan subscribes to BizPal -- an online tool that will give you all the permit requirements you need to start your business. 



  • Collecting GST 

    Businesses in Canada are required to collect federal and provincial sales tax for goods and services they provide. In Alberta, only GST (5%) is collected. There is no provincial sales tax. To collect GST, you will need to register with Revenue Canada for a GST account. To register or learn more about collecting GST, click here.

  • Hiring Employees 

    If you plan to have employees, you will also require a Payroll account with Revenue Canada - learn more

    In Alberta, you will also require a WCB account with the Worker's Compensation Board - learn more